Sunday, September 7, 2008

Today's note - September 7, 2008


September 6, 2008

Oh what a grand day it has been. A perfect day. Just perfect.

My day started with a quick stint as “delivery babe.” As soon as I had dropped off the coffee and muffins and fruit and scones, I scooted over to the start of the “Lap Around the Lake” walk.

I showed you a couple of snaps of the morning. Today, in a way, was the day I first made any big public declaration about being a cancer survivor. I mean, it’s not a secret, but I’ve never really made a big speech about it before.

I think I told you that I’ve decided to ride my bicycle across the United States next year. Well, actually, it is in this “age” year of mine, but in the next “calendar” year. I’ll do this ride while I am still 54, my golden year, as I’ve noted – the year when my age and birth year match. What I might not have made very public is that this ride is really about early detection of ovarian cancer. I’m one of the very few, very lucky ones because I DID notice that I didn’t feel the same and my cancer was caught in stage 1. This is almost unheard of with ovarian cancer.

I’ll raise money and ride and speak as I travel across the country. The ride will be a big personal, physical challenge. And it will also be thought-provoking for me. I’m alive. Many are not.

After I finished speaking I zipped off to the market, bought a couple of huge buckets stuffed with fresh, beautiful flowers, and brought them back to work.

“Delivery Babe – round 2” followed. I took hors d’oeuvres off to a memorial service for someone and then lunch to a group who are here visiting gardens in the area. I’m not always “delivery babe” but I do like getting out and today was so beautiful I didn’t mind at all.

I got back to work, visited with a bunch of people in a delightfully full café, and then, finally got a chance to catch my breath a little bit and arrange the flowers for tonight’s party. The phone, meanwhile, rang and rang and rang. Zip! Whip! Whoosh!

“Delivery Babe – round 3” finished off the day. Now, yes, FINALLY, the newsletter is getting written. My sister just showed up. The guests for the wedding reception are drifting in. The saxophone player has started. All is humming.

And I’m going to go have a beer.

I’m so thankful to be alive.

No comments: